Monday, October 4, 2010

train of thought...

Just thought I'd share with you a train of thought I had the other day...click on the links to see the other blurbs.

Most people work 6 days a week over here, and work the entire weekend if there is a holiday during the week.  We're in the midst of two holidays back-to-back right now, and many of the weekends surrounding these two holidays have been busy with work.  However, not all the days missed for holiday are being made up - 4 weekend days are given to work, but we are getting 8 days off for the holidays.  It's confusing, I think.  So I just go along with what I'm told by our staff...and make sure that my phone is always available, in case I miss a work day!

Our two holidays that we are celebrating are the Mid-Autumn Festival and the National Holiday (equal to our Fourth of July).  The National Holiday is based on the Western calendar, so it is always during the first week of October.  However, the Mid-Autumn Festival is according to the Lunar calendar, which is dependent on the phases of the moon.  This means that the Mid-Autumn Festival can occur as early as August or as late as October.  Also confusing, right?



No comments:

Post a Comment