Thursday, June 23, 2011

a visit to the Consulate

It's visa renewal time and my passport has run out of visa pages, necessitating a visit to the US Consulate.  So I made an appointment for Tuesday and headed over to the US Consulate after clinic, for my first ever visit.  I wasn't quite sure what to expect except from what I've seen in the movies - doors opening so you can run in while being chased by the police for a crime you didn't commit, US flags flying everywhere, a sense of security and home.  Hmm...I can only blame myself for feeling disappointed with the real thing.

First of all, I couldn't find the entrance.  All I could see was a building surrounded by a large wall and wire fence.  The "entrance" turned out to be in the middle of the wire fence, nothing fancy.  The wire fence spanned about a block, with the street blocked off to traffic.  In fact, the street was blocked off to pedestrians, too, except for the middle area to let you walk to the entrance.  A guard was at the entrance to verify my ID.  I was then directed to a small window, where I showed my ID (passport) again, and was allowed to enter a building where I was instructed to leave all of my belongings, including (and especially) my phone.  I didn't care about leaving my phone, but I was upset about leaving my Filet-O-Fish.  I had grabbed some Mickey D's on my way over, and assumed that I'd have time to finish my lunch while waiting for my visa pages.  At least my fries were consumed en route!

After "storing" my belongings, I was then instructed to leave the building and enter the main building, BUT I had to follow a certain path to the building.  The main building was literally across the way and I could have crossed diagonally to enter the building.  But my instructions were to go straight to the end, turn right at 90 degrees and walk straight to the entrance.  After going through another inspection, I finally made it!  And it took one hour to add visa pages to my passport, pages that looked like they were taped on.  On my way out, I had to leave and reenter to collect my belongings.  The whole ordeal was very structured, no-nonsense, and I felt confined while I was there.  Definitely no warm fuzzies.

I can only assume that things are structured in this way to maintain order, control, and safety.  In the same way, I like to live my life with structure and order because it gives me a sense of control and security.  But sometimes I overdo it, and end up alienating people, as I felt during my visit to the Consulate.  Life is not structured or organized, and really, I am not the ONE who is in control, no matter how much I want to be or think I am.  And I desire to be a fragrant aroma to those around me, not, as one of my friends puts it, "a stinker."  So every day, I am challenged to 1) relinquish my need for control, 2) trust in the One who is sovereign, and 3) live as a sweet influence to those around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment